Do you need to set up a community organisation?
Created: August 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM | Updated: August 22, 2019 | By SociaLink
Passion is most important in wanting to make a difference in communities. Many people assume that if they want to make a difference they need to set up a charity or a legal entity of some kind, creating a juggle between working on their cause and admin / legal requirements.
These are the five key steps to help you decide how to help your community:
- Is there a need for your proposed charity?
- Are there any other organisations or groups doing what you want to do?
- Can you volunteer for an existing organisation or find an umbrella organisation or will you choose to set up your own entity?
- What sort of legal entity / organisation structure will you choose?
- Choose a name and set up your new entity.
SociaLink have developed a flowchart with lots of additional information that will help you with this process.
https://socialink.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/SociaLink-Charity-SetUp-FlowChart-A3-WEB.pdf (opens in a new window)