Process for setting-up an incorporated society
The following flowchart shows the process for setting up an incorporated society. This supplements Incorporated Societies of the Community Resource Kit.
1. Your group wants to set up an incorporated society.
2. Meet and:
- decide on a name of the group
- decide the overall mission, purpose and values of the organisation (this starts to develop your rules or constitution).
3. Go to Societies and Trusts Online website (http://www.societies.govt.nz) and:
- check the name is available
- review rules of other incorporated societies and the sample set of rules
- download application form or ring 0508 762 438 for forms to be posted out.
4. Draft a set of rules
(this is usually done by a small group, with the draft taken to the larger group in the next step)
5. Call a meeting of at least 15 people (or equivalent corporate bodies) willing to be the founding members. At this meeting your group needs to:
- approve the rules
- complete the application for incorporation documents
- appoint a chairperson, secretary, treasurer and management committee
- set a membership fee (or agree not to have one).
6. Send the following completed documents back to the Companies Office:
- the application for incorporation document
- a copy of your rules
- the certification form for the rules
- $100 lodgement fee.
7. The Companies Office informs your group that it is now an incorporated society and sends you a certificate.
8. To maintain your registration you will need to file the following documents with the Registrar of Incorporated Societies:
- annual financial statement
- rule changes (including name changes)
- address changes.
If you are registered with Charities Services, you will need to notify changes and file an annual return (including annual accounts) with Charities Services instead of the Registrar of Incorporated Societies.
Tip: If your organisation has a charitable purpose, registering with Charities Services will entitle you to an exemption from income tax and resident withholding tax. If you want to apply for registration under the Charities Act 2005, you need to meet their requirements for registration:
You will also need to fill out an application form, an Officer Certification Form (one copy for each of your officers), and send in a copy of your rules, including all amendments. For more details visit: http://www.charities.govt.nz